Lose Weight While Traveling With These 3 Weight Loss Strategies
These weight loss strategies are perfect for travelers and will trigger immediate weight loss, improve long term body composition and protect you from many preventable health risks.
If you have decided to start eating healthy to lose weight then you have made a wise decision. The dangers of overindulgence mixed with a sedentary lifestyle have become well known. Once you've decided to make this change, the first question one usually faces is where to start. There are a ton of strategies out there for you to choose from these days but it can be tough to figure out which will work best for someone who spends a lot of time traveling.
We chose three weight-loss strategies that are perfect for travelers and will trigger immediate weight loss, improve long-term body composition and protect you from many preventable health risks.
This is a tough one but if you are dedicated enough to stick with it, the benefits of the Ketogenic Diet go far beyond losing weight.
Let's consider some of these benefits.
Want to lose fat?
Improve your cognitive functioning?
Starve cancer cells?
The Keto Diet is a great way to improve your whole body's operating system, lose weight, feel better and perform better physically and mentally.
Ketones are molecules formed by the breakdown of stored fat. The human body stores carbohydrate glycogen in addition to that fat and when they are depleted, the body begins to burn the fat stores for energy. To trigger this state of ketosis, you have to eliminate all foods that are not meat or vegetables. That means no sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. Reduce your carb intake gradually at first until you have eliminated them almost entirely.
2. Intermittent Fasting
This might be the best weight loss strategy for travelers for two reasons. The first is that it's simplicity makes it easy for anyone to give it a try. The second is that it's basic component is not eating for an extended period of time, which is perfect for someone who is busy with a hectic travel schedule.
Intermittent fasting (IF) is a term for an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. For example, you may already intermittently fast between your last meal at night and your first one the next day. The time between those meals is your fasting period. Now consider extending that window to make it more effective for fat burning. If you skip breakfast and maybe even lunch the next day, you can now extend your fat burning window to 16 or even 24 hours. This length of time is considered optimal for intermittent fasting.
As with the Ketogenic Diet, the benefits of intermittent fasting go far beyond fat loss. With no blood sugar spikes and crashes, many intermittent fasters report feeling sharper mentally at work. Many common cancers are associated with high sugar environments and could potentially thrive from diets high in sugars and simple carbohydrates. By depriving cancer cells of this glycogen, some doctors and scientists believe that a fasted or ketogenic state could be more effective at preventing or fighting cancer than any alternative currently available.
Learn more about intermittent fasting here.
Many nutrition experts are now embracing the 90/10 rule for eating. This means that 90 percent of the time, you are eating healthy and the other 10 percent of the time you can eat your cheat foods. This strategy is good all the time but is perfect for traveling.
Who wants to go on vacation and not enjoy some of their favorite foods?
The 90/10 rule allows you to indulge some of the time.
What business traveler has access to healthy natural foods all the time on the road?
The 90/10 rule gives them some flexibility in choosing some less healthy snacks on the go or being less picky when dining with clients.
The importance of a few cheat meals is not just limited to providing travelers with diet flexibility. Psychologically, it would be almost impossible to stick to a strict diet all the time while traveling. Assuming you eat 5 smaller meals a day, stick to your healthy diet for 30 meals a week and let yourself enjoy some of the food you love for the other 5 meals. Those cheat meals will be your reward for eating right most of the time and will allow you to relax your mind a bit. Physically, you cannot keep your energy levels up if you are always in a caloric deficit, which tends to happen when constantly eating clean. Help your body regulate body weight and fat mass by occasionally indulging in higher calorie meals.
As with any weight loss strategy, consult your physician before starting and include exercise to maintain your highest level of health.
If you enjoyed this article, you'll definitely love this one: